View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 12:43 AM   #21
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
we will assume you and uke are close to the same size. Distances may have to be jiggled a bit if the size discrepancy is too great. Also, descriptions of how to find them are assuming you are going slowly to learn to find them. Once you know where and how to get them it happens much quicker. Also also, don't just "poke" them, extend through them.

some I like to use are:

1) take your partners same arm (right-right, left-left) and place his bent elbow in the center of your palm. Gently close your hand in a natural position. Where the tip of your thumb rests on the lower inside of the upper arm is a point (heart 3 I believe)

2) grasp inside of partners shin (cross grab) from front. Slide your hand down inside of leg until your pinky finger stops on top of the ankle bone. Extend into the shin with the third knuckle of the index finger. I think this is spleen 6.

3) on the calf muscle. in the center of the belly of the muscle where it bifurcates. Bladder 57. we have a karate practioner who comes to class who likes to hit this point with his heel as he moves past.

4) have your partner grab you with a two handed choke from the front. To learn where this point is reach out and put your fingers on his ribcage roughly halfway between his armpit and his waist. It's located in the 7th intercostal space. To make it work well "pop" the point with your thumb tips or third pinky knuckle (knife edge of hand). spleen 21

5) from behind, grab ukes head with both hands at base of neck and hook a finger into the hinge of the jaw (both sides). Through the cheek, don't go sticking your fingers in uke's mouth lift up and back to move uke.

6) same position as #5 but place tip of index finger at the point where the earlobe meets the jaw. have the other fingers run along the bottom of the jaw bone in a natural position for the hand. extend in, up and back to move uke.

7) uke grabs two handed choke from the front with one leg further forward. bring up your same leg (right-right) and turn your waist bringing the knee to his inner thigh just below halfway between groin and knee. It will be directly across from ukes fingertips when he's standing relaxed with hands at sides. The motion is like you're skipping "through" the point. There is also one on the outside of the thigh at the fingertip level. The points on the inside of the arms and legs tend to be more sensitive than the ones on the outside. I think these are liver 9 and gallbladder 32, respectively.

6) have uke stand with arms outstretched to the sides. At the lowest point of the lattisimus dorsi (lats, the "wings" on the back of in shape folks). extend in and foward with a thumb or finger tip.

7)on the top of your forearm, roughly two finger widths from the elbow, in the space between the muscles is a another good spot. extend into the arm with a thumb tip. In tai chi I was taught to strike this spot with either a knuckle or the pointy wrist bone at the base of the hand (pinky side). It causes a charlie-horse which opens the hand.

well, that's about all I can think of right now. try 'em, see if you like 'em. don't get discouraged if they don't work. like I said in a previous post, roughly ten percent of the population won't feel much pain from pressure points. Some other won't because they've desensitized parts of their bodies. more than likely none of these will cause somebody to "drop" but they are usefull for creating openings. Kinda like stealth atemi

have fun,

Bronson

any mistakes about the point names are strictly my own

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."