View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #90
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Ken McGrew wrote: View Post
Watching Endo Senei at the demonstration, he shows a variety of approaches to Aikido, in a slow detail to emphasize the efficiency of movement. I don't see anything here that's particularly different or that demonstrates the supremacy of internal approaches of not moving. The seminar footage showed certain approaches that fit certain circumstances. The head push in the classroom is just an exercise. What if UKe had a knife in the other hand? What if it was randori? He might move differently.

As to the video of Peyrache Shihan, it starts with a video of O Sensei leading, body positioning, and moving a great deal. What Peyrache Sensei is showing is quite different from that in most cases. At times he looks good. At other times what he shows is against compliant static Uke. What if instead of waiting patiently to be thrown Uke stabbed Sensei with the knife in his dangling hand? It's ok to work on minimalistic movements. Older big men seem to gravitate towards this lately. But it is also necessary to train bigger movement. Small movements are not superior. You do what fits the situation.
I agree.
Thanks for sharing and your time taken to watch.
The vid (well sort of) consists of snapshots from seminars, not demo. (In my teacher's defense).
My teacher says the minimalistic movements prevent you to use the moment of the big movements to 'make' your technique work. He also says when aite is stationary you move, when aite is very agile, become stationary. So you adapt to the situation.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl