View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM   #49
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Commitment into the attack

Great thread. Alex, Kevin and Graham all bring up good points.

I think that a big part of the "problem" is that because we don't train against "alive" attacks, we don't learn to recognize the moment of commitment.

Ironically, I believe, this is what aiki is all about, and yet, the way in which most aikido is practiced ensures that one will almost never encounter an opportunity to train it.

Too often, uke commits himself to being thrown or facilitating the technique. There is no problem with this per se. It is probably a necessary part of training. The problem is that aikidoists seldom go beyond this point, which is, frankly, a very basic level.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
May be I didn't formulated question clear enough - how to deal with the attacks where attacker is committing only real minimum and if attack is not successful disengage immediately? I'd like to discuss very concrete training methods to face such situation.
Understood.

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:
On the other hand, a simple irimi is often not sophisticated enough as a solution. Advanced attacker will early see the intent of entry and will modify his behavior.
This is an obvious point, but one that I am only recently beginning to actually experience, ki musubi and awase must be constantly happening in each moment. This is not a do it once and you are done type of interaction.

How to do it? I honestly can't tell you.

Start looking for it, and then do it. I still cannot do it consistently, but I can notice it, and do it more frequently now than I could three months ago.

Quote:
Alex Lawrence wrote:
The entire point of Aikido, as I see it, is to break balance on contact. That's the foundation, if that's not being consistently achieved then the Aikidoka really needs to make an exhaustive study of it.
I agree that this should be studied, but determining the outcome before contact is the point of aiki.

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote:
In all my experiences training for alive attacks, they are very hard to get out of the way of and you pretty much have to use your frame of structure to absorb the attack and disapate the force in such a way that you can use it to gain control of the situation.

The principle of OODA really dictates this. The irony to me is if it is a good attack and an alive attack...you simply cannot "move off the line" or side step it, or blend with it...you must accept it and the energy in it and then attempt to gain control.

Again, this is if the attack is alive or real. For me, I am either in control of the fight and uke is backpedaling, or I am not. If I am in control, uke is behind me and cannot launch a good attack, if I am behind and uke is attack...then a good attack means I am NOT in control and uke can effectively attack me. A good attack means I must deal with what he is going to me first.
Again, this is where aiki comes in. You "control' the fight by following uke's intention and commitment, but being with his action. It is not about attacking or defending, just appropriateness.

It is the essence of the true counter puncher.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki