View Single Post
Old 11-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #37
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Commitment into the attack

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
I somehow agree and disagree. Aikidoka are not only not psychologically prepared, but also from technical point of view they often don't any idea what happens AFTER they enter\irimi into attack. Such scenario with uke alive (means i.e. bouncing and disengaging only to re-attack) is never done.

On the other hand, a simple irimi is often not sophisticated enough as a solution. Advanced attacker will early see the intent of entry and will modify his behavior. Here I agree with Dazzler that we have to carefully study peoples behavior in different situations do develop our eyes. I strongly believe that aikidoka must become a master of reading body language as a first step to his mind training.
Hi. My rule in Aikido is to let the attack or even 'make' the attack happen.

Based on this rule; the attacker only readjusts or pulls away because you tried to stop them or interfere.

Allowing the commitment of the attacker to take place is the key.

Another point is that there is a reason for the type of attacks in Aikido and this reason needs thinking about and clearing in your mind before you can understand why? Maybe I'll start a thread on this for I haven't seen anyone explain it to my satisfaction yet.

Reading body language is one way of putting it so I agree there for in 'alive' attacks that's the main thing, however there is a process to do first before you can move correctly in that situation wouldn't you say?

Regards.G.