View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: do a technique or flow into one?

Quote:
David Santana wrote: View Post
I heard that we aren't supposed to DO a technique, but we FLOW into one.. but many times when training, I as a beginner, find myself in a position unsuitable to do the technique Sensei is teaching. I wanna know what you do when that happens (if ever), would you flow into a different technique or stops and start from the beginning? or is it just me??
The essence of Aikido practise is that eventually your are able to create the situation you want. be it for training purposes or combat survival. In the beginning this is very hard (and why many say Aikido will not be effective until after several years of practise). At first you will need to learn forms than focus on details in the technique, etc. At a later stage you start to be able to move/react freely and choose what you want to do until eventually this is second nature and you do not choose, but flow into a technique that follows naturally. I do not think it is very fruitful to flow into techniques in the beginning as many important aspects are missing or at least not properly 'tuned in' to eachother.

So in order to progress Aikido uses stylised techniques in which the roles are clear and boundaries are set. This creates a safe context in which you can practise and get comfortable. As a child you do not start out writing poetry...first you learn letters, words, sentences, meaning, etc.... Aikido is similar (as are many other things)

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl