View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
NagaBaba

Re: Training at Hombu

Quote:
Matthew Middleton wrote: View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are going to be going to Japan for a couple of weeks, and I'd like to take a couple of classes at Hombu dojo. I've got a couple of questions for anyone who has been there in the last year or so:

- Any recommendations as to where to stay nearby? We're not made of money, but we're ok with $70-$100 a night (we're only staying in Tokyo a few days)
- What is the difference between the beginner classes and regular ones? I've been practicing about 4 years now (only 5th kyu though - long story), and wouldn't want to attend the wrong level of class.
- Unrelated to Aikido, any recommendations on what to see? We're probably going to Akihabara, because we're both big nerds, but I'd also love to take in some more traditional culture. Also, we're going to be spending time in Osaka, so any recommendations for there would be awesome as well.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Buy monthly ticket (pass)here in Canada for JR so travel inside of Japan will be much, much cheaper - I mean free!!.I.e. 2 weeks pass is about 400$ as compared to one way Tokyo-Osaka 150$ if I remember well.

Bypass Tokyo completely. Nothing interesting there, you will waste you time and money. The real Japan is in the countryside not in the big towns. Go to Kyoto, Nara, Kamakura, Himeji,Nikko more here:
http://gojapan.about.com/od/attracti...age-Sites-.htm
This is a real deal, you will be charmed.

Also don't stay in big hotels, chose small local Japanese hotels and eat only local food. Find small family restaurants, quality of food there is exceptional. For aikido I'd suggest to visit dojos from different federations then aikikai to open your eyes on whole different approach for aikido.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo