View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: Two Hundred and Seven

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
interesting! at this point what do you surmise is afoot? From this far away I can't see or feel what is happening in your case, but I may hazard a guess that the mind/intent is greater than the state of the body. Your intent is overcoming the intent of the uke's, the body is secondary to the mind. You may also be more relaxed than you think, when you are playing at being stiff?? Let us know how your experimenting goes.

An interesting 'twist' on the lifting up exercise is this, when the two ukes have lifted you up into the air, start to think in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. Make no attempt to do anything else physically, just have a pure revolving thought/intent. You may be surprised by the result (the uke's certainly will).

regards,

Mark
Hi Mark -

I'm thinking that the mind/body connection that gives rise to correct feeling runs much deeper than I have heretofore experienced. I can still perform the exercises "incorrectly", that is without coordination of mind and body, just using muscle to resist, and the results are always me being moved by my partner or lifted by my partners. To be honest, I'd never considered that I could maintain correct feeling in a state of physical tension. But having experienced just that has caused me to rethink just what it means to be relaxed.

When I practice the lifting exercise "relaxed" with mind and body coordinated my partners simply can't lift me. When, however, I practice the exercise in tension with mind and body coordinated they are repelled in a direction opposite to their applied force as soon as they begin to lift. The same holds true for the katate tori exercise. In relaxed mode my partner is drawn in and just stops as though encountering a barrier. In tense mode my partner is moved backward on contact. I haven't tried this with any of the other Ki development exercises we practice to strengthen correct feeling. Perhaps when you stop over on your world tour I'll have added one or two more.

I'll give the twister version of the lifting exercise a shot, sounds interesting.

Best,

Ron