View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM   #78
lbb
United_States
Re: why do people search outside Aikido for IS?

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
Group I: "Aikido has everything I need."

Group 2: "Aikido is missing something fundamental so I must go outside to find it."

A. It is nearly incomprehensible to Group 1 why Group 2 will look outside Aikido for something fundamental Group 2 believes is missing.
Insofar as this is true, this is a case of people in Group 1 being dumb, people in Group 2 being dumb, or both. Note the difference between "everything I need" and "everything everyone in the world needs".

Quote:
B. It is nearly incomprehensible to Group 2 why Group 1 won't look outside Aikido for something fundamental Group 2 believes is missing.
Insofar as this is true, this is a case of people in Group 2 being dumb. It's like not being able to understand why everyone doesn't buy a Ford Windstar.

Quote:
And since the whole concept of "is it missing?" depends on a whole lot of factors including personal expectation, definition of what *it* is, style, etc., I don't see anything necessarily contradictory about the two statements.
It depends first and foremost on the definition of "missing". Do you think that the Mona Lisa is "missing" a grass skirt and a coconut bra?