View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #511
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
Mostly he was praying and doing his own solo training, by all accounts.

During periods when he was physically present in Iwama, he probably was not teaching in Tokyo. No one has claimed that he had the ability to teleport...

There are plenty of modern examples of teachers with such heavy seminar schedules that they do very little teaching at their own dojos.

Katherine
So you believe that? By all accounts? Aikido was all part of his spiritual training, not sitting somewhere praying. That was part of his disciplined regime yes. As a replacement leaving him solo training? Come on....

Hunt around and you'll find plenty of people who had many lessons from him up to the day he died.

A master never stops teaching. If no one was around he'd be teaching the insects taisabaki. That's the reality of someone like him. The reality of that position and type of person is what needs to be understood in my opinion not what bill or jack said.

I have a friend and when he hasn't been seen for a while and students complain they are missing him and ask where he is I just laugh and say he's somewhere no doubt teaching someone something.

You know the person then you know what they will be doing no matter where they are in the world.

Those who don't know then say he wasn't just because they cant see him.

Add to this sometimes, probably much more than sometimes for a master, he has to let others carry on for a while with what he has given them to practice for it's not worth giving them more until they have reality and indeed ability in what they were left to learn.

Regards.G.