View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 10:46 AM   #59
kewms
Re: "stance of heaven (and earth)" and IS

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
Then - with a new teacher - not only the position of the axis shifted, but also the way to organize the body changed.
You experienced that being stable is not only an issue of where you have your feet, didn't you? So if you can not be pushed over standing with parallel feet, don't you think a "similar effect" can be shown, standing in hanmi?
Sure.

Quote:
Yes. But - other way round - it is easier to move oneself.
Yes and no. Easier to move the "light" foot, maybe, but harder to move the "heavy" foot. Wouldn't you like to be able to move either? As nage, isn't shifting uke's balance onto one foot or the other one of the ways to achieve kuzushi?

Quote:
Hm, when standing in hanmi we imagine a force coming in and up from ground in the back leg (when doing breathing excercises we breath in trough the souls of our feet), going through the tanden/center and down and into the ground in the front leg. By positioning the feet a little bit open (the front foot doesn't show to the front but a little outward. And the rear foot shows a little forward) ther is a kind of "twisting" this energy coming up and going down. (In our imagination this energy doesn't flow in a "straight line".)

When I wrote "weight" in quotation marks, I meant this "dowstream" wich feels like weight but isn't really (sorry, can't do better in english words).
In the hara/tanden/center ... /pelvis ... there is a connection to the upper body and arms and the force is kind of lead and distributed by this area.

So ... I hope you could follow to this point ... the feeling of this flow and distribution of energy is different when your body axis is in the middle or in front third or in the rear third of the of your hanmi.
In the end I think it doesn't matter. But in my experience I just feel it better and can use it better when not standing symmetric.
All this sounds very reasonable. Just a slightly different approach to the same goal.

Katherine