View Single Post
Old 09-21-2002, 01:40 AM   #74
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States
Quote:
Kathryn Cole (Kat.C) wrote:
So scouts are misogynists?
No they're not, that's why they're going co-ed .
Quote:
What is wrong about this type of discrimination as it is not preventing either sex from doing the related activities? They all go camping, they all earn merit badges etc. I guess alot can depend on a persons definition of discrimination, it means to treat someone differently based on things other than personal merit, not necessarily treat them better or worse just differently. Women and men are different why do we need to be treated exactly the same.
Seperate but equal? Seperate drinking fountains for coloreds must be fine then - there's nothing stopping them both from drinking water, after all...

I'm not talking about treating people the same, I'm talking about giving people the same access, the same opportunities - what happens after that ought to, IMO, depend upon the individual, and nothing else.
Quote:
Wait, I'm talking the different parts of the brain being active for different things not that womens brains dictate that we are only good in the kitchen!
Because it's convenient for your point of view. The argument itself, that biology is destiny and women and men are by their nature suited for different activities is exactly the same one that was used by men to justify locking women out of certain areas of society.

OK, so if brains function differently and it's OK to shut people in or out of certain groups because of that then why wouldn't it be wrong to (for example) shut women out of a mathematics class (since women have demonstrably lower scores in mathematics) because of their gender?

Best,

Chris