View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Amassus's Avatar
Dojo: Aikido Musubi Ryu/ Yoshin Wadokan
Location: Hamilton
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 306
New Zealand
Question A word meaning "to guide"

Hello folks.

I was chatting with a fellow aikidoka at training last night and he had been visiting another club. At this other club, they do not call the instructor "sensei" until that have reached dan grade. Kyu grades refer to the instructor by another term which means "one who guides". I think it starts with an 's'.
Any ideas what this may be. I have never come across it before in any other aikido dojo I have trained in.

Just to note, the word was not 'sempai'.


"flows like water, reflects like a mirror, and responds like an echo." Chaung-tse
  Reply With Quote