Thread: Ueshiba's Aiki
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #308
MM
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Joe McParland wrote: View Post
It seems to me that Mr. McGrew is demonstrating incredible internal strength: He is resolved. He is unswayed by people who are dropping in to tell him he is arguing incorrectly. He is not distracted by people telling him to go elsewhere. He is not terribly affected by individuals shifting the context and meanings of statements. He is arguably holding his center without being drawn out by red herrings or falling into black holes. It seems that he is defining the ground where others meet him. Moreover, he does not appear to bind himself to "winning" within typical (perceived) aikido rules of engagement.

Still, people feel they must engage him, attack him, prove something, hit him with the ad hom. attacks, ... and there he stands.

Brilliant.
Actually, quite the opposite. Mr. McGrew is doing a good job of tainting the reputation of the ASU. Had I done something like this, I know of quite a few seniors in at least two organizations I belonged to who would have walloped me up side the head (deservedly so) and told me to cut that sh*t out. If I was clueless, things would have been explained, in careful detail, just how badly I was acting. Had I continued, I would have been unceremoniously removed from the organizations.

While we might joke at practice, smile, have fun, we still take budo very seriously. And lackadaisically arguing with experienced budo men (Ellis Amdur, Chris Li, etc) because you've read books, articles, watched videos and asked some questions is, at the least, very presumptuous. I can only hope that some seniors in the ASU are sitting down with Mr. McGrew and explaining how a "good budo man" should conduct himself.

Mark