View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #279
Ken McGrew
Dojo: Aikido at UAB
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Katherine Derbyshire wrote: View Post
I was not at the San Francisco seminar this weekend, and will not speculate on what was or was not said, or by whom.

I was at a different seminar, taught by one ASU rokudan and attended by another. Neither of them seems to see any particular conflict between Saotome Sensei's positions and their work with Dan. Both of them remain ASU instructors and dojo-cho in good standing. So clearly their interpretation is different from yours, and equally clearly Saotome Sensei is okay with that.

Katherine
Again, you engage in a dishonest argument.

I have demonstrated that I am not misrepresenting what Saotome Sensei said. This is a matter of honor at this point. It has nothing to do with the fact that Sensei allows us to train other arts. Sensei is not on the internet and his ability to read English is limited. To the extent that people are teaching not to do the blending and joining that Sensei shows, then I don't think he'd be ok with that. STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. It is Dan who claimed to be backed up by Saotome Sensei, or rather claimed that I did not know what I was talking about regarding Saotome Sensei's teachings, it is his claim that I am forced to respond to.

Blending and body positioning are said to be tricks. Saotome Sensei says they are part and parcel with Aiki. So there is a conflict here.