Thread: Ueshiba's Aiki
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 PM   #231
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: Ueshiba's Aiki

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
I regard the core of Aikido as the center-to-center connection--making that connection instantly and using it to master the situation.
Hi Hugh -

No argument there, center-to-center connection is a core concept of Aikido.

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
If your blending works--or Mary's, upthread--I'll claim that you're not purely blending but in fact have figured out how to make a connection and take balance within the movement you call blending. This is more than just semantics--I'm distinguishing two concepts and giving them labels so that we can talk about how they operate independently in practice.
I don't know Ken so I am not speaking for him, but since Mary and I train together regularly I'll take a stab at speaking for the both of us (I'm sure that if I mess up she'll step right in and set me straight). Blending motions and center-to-center connection are separate skill sets as you have pointed out. We develop connection skills primarily via Ki exercises practiced both solo and with a partner. Blending skills are honed during technique training which also allows us to apply connection skills while in motion. I see taking balance as more a result of successful blending and the establishment of a solid connection to uke's center rather than a concept.

Best,

Ron