View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #1679
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
It just seems to me that some more informed practicioners have some confidence in the usefulness of these techniques in modern combat.
We could check how informed about the realities of combat (modern or otherwise) are said practitioners. How may times have they been engaged in real h2h? What they used to prevail? How have they been trained physically and psychologically?

Quote:
Yes, uke is not very resistive in this video. I can only guess what would have happened if he were more "resisitive". Would he have stopped the teacher or would he become more "abused"?
My guess is the latter.
My guess is if uke were really trying to impose his will on the demonstrator the techniques shown would not work unless they were heavily modified.

Quote:
Either way, the outcome in this particular case would only prove something for these two practicioners. Would it be possible to derive some general conclusion about the effectiveness of these techniques in general?
Possible? Yes. But maybe the general conclusions about efectiveness of these techniques one can achieve are flawed. The plural of anecdote is not data.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean in the first part of yur response. You say that these techniques are common. Do you mean that this disqualifies them as aikido techniques?
No, what I mean is the clip could have been named "Flos Duellatorum Instructions", "Dirty Judo Instructions", "Kali Instructions" or whatever.

And about my statement "Aikido techniques and tactics do not make sense in the battlefield." as I said to Kevin, I was exaggerating a bit but (and being Kevin a professional in that field) I'd rather prefer to be him the one who explains you the differences between the clip you posted and this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivm2BzsVt4M