View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #34
Keith Larman
United_States
Re: Overriding uke's determinism

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Keith:

Some people just like to hear themselves talk, see their own posts..... regardless of how inane their thoughts and actions might be. Perhaps the funniest aspect of it all is the over-riding insistence of always being right. I think it falls under "I Think, therefore I am right, therefore I am god-like ."

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Well, I don't know his intent but I was just trying to unwind a bit what he was saying. From my understanding of English and philosophy for that matter it made no sense and I was curious how one could work determinism in to this stuff we do. On the other hand, if we temporarily redefine the meaning to encapsulate what he seems to intend, well, then it becomes (as Katherine mentioned and I mentioned before) rather self-evident. So I don't see the point. I see it as either silly or self-evident and trivial. I was wondering if I missed something deeper (wouldn't be the first time).

I do find it interesting in that it seems the subtle (and often not-so-subtle) misuse of words to create a confused, shifting meaning to be a common thread here. So many are willing to wax on poetically. And while I find no problem with that, it does tend to require a solid base if you're going to claim some sort of objective reality and substance for that object of that prose. If is a form of fallacy in argument when one starts to shift meanings around. Shifting grounds kind of problem. It just seems so much more prevalent in Aikido discussions for some reason. Or maybe it's just a few peoples' way of communicating that causes cognitive dissonance in me.