View Single Post
Old 09-20-2002, 10:28 AM   #27
DanielR
Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
I've very curious about the single sex policy. It doesn't sound like something I'd enjoy or be particularly interested in trying, but I don't see a reason to condemn it out of hand, or even to condemn it once it is in hand.
I apologize to Mr. Linden if my comments sounded as an outright condemnation; that was certainly not my intention. Opher - thank you for pointing this out. However, I did wish to express my surprise both with the fact and with the way it was presented in Mr. Linden's post. It was also my intention to understand why Mr. Linden chose to eliminate this particular source of personal problems in the dojo, and how is it different from all other possible conflict situations that may and do arise when there's more than one person in a room.
Quote:
If a group of men want to train together then one imagines, given the state of AiKiDo in the U.S. today that the women will have plenty of other options that they can go to for their training.
It's quite a dilemma for me. On one hand, I am rather fed up by the overwhelming political correctness in the US. Indeed, if such dojo exists, no women would want to train there in the first place, so apparently there's no problem. On the other hand, it's not a secluded group of men. It's a publicly advertised dojo. What happens when a woman aikidoka comes to that dojo? Is she told "males only"? How does this make her feel?

What I'm trying to say is - it's not against the law, but it looks and feels offensive. Again, maybe there're reasons for it that would convince me otherwise.
Quote:
I wonder if Daniel Rozenbaum or Richard would have felt the same way about a woman teacher who had a woman-only dojo. I'm not implying that they would feel necessarily differently (or even that they should). I'm honestly curious whether for either of them that would be a different situation.
It very much depends on the circumstances. If I heard a woman sensei say "I don't allow men in my dojo because it pleases me", I'd most certainly be as surprised.

Daniel