View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #79
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: More on High Break-falls

Quote:
Lyle Laizure wrote: View Post
IMO if a person makes a blaket response on how most folks just don't understand what he/she is saying it is probably because the one that is sharing lacks sufficient ability to communicate. Instructors need to be able to "teach" or "demonstrate" the technique or concept in a variety of different ways.

There was an instructor that visited my area a few years back. He said that I wouldn't want to miss his seminar as he was going to be teaching stuff noone had done before. Graham, brother, you sound a lot like this visitor.
Lyle, I may sound like a lot of 'fools' so what? It's not my fault if there are lots of them. Read the above post, only one person so far had the reality I put foreward. A reality I say should be basic. Yet it's hard to see that because no one's said it.

It's also hard to explain when you know others won't get it because they will only be referring in their minds to things and experiences they are used to.

Beginners mind is talked a lot about here but even that, is it real to those who keep mentioning it?

It means an open mind. It means leave all your assumptions, prejudices, reactions, etc. at the door.

With this mind a person could see it's a blanket, bold statement and find that interesting. Thus their approach would be from interest rather than any other attitude. They may even have interest and disagreement or confusion or concern, that's fine too.

I do not believe that after reading the op, and seeing the response and examples I agree with ie: (the falling off ladder, the falling off roof) that a person can't see the concept of relaxing into the ground that I am referring to.

So the only questions for them is do they practice it? Is it basic? Is it a fundamental principle? Is the op correct? Is it taught generally as that principle in Aikido?

It is in judo. It is in wwf, hence my mention of it. It is in many falling arts. In this art however all I here is how damaging such falls can be and zero on how to make that not a problem.

When you check it out you will find actually that many people and shihans say 'this is how it should be done' and go on to say how others do it wrong, or show why other ways are wrong. So saying something is missing or wrong or even unknown is nothing new, it's open for debate.

Also I hear many TOP aikido people here on this forum complaining how modern aikido has lost something. Now that's blanket is it not? Personally I feel every time they get specific on what they consider is misssing and the reasons for it they get it completely wrong on most points. So that's my blanket response.

If I mention a point that causes a big reaction, a lot of put down, a lot of emotive reaction, then sometimes it may be down to me but I think the vast majority of times it's because I've hit a raw nerve. A point of blindness, a point others have never thoroughly looked at and inspected, a firm belief held that I have challenged. This can be looked upon by others as mischief, ignorance, arrogance or whatever, I don't really care. I mention what I can see and usually what I know, not think I know.

So there you have it. My sunday morning sermon ha,ha.

Regards.G.