View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #30
robin_jet_alt
Australia
Re: high breakfalls?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Yes. I watched it. For me I would entitle it practising break-falls, that's all. All break-falls, or rather, good ones have certain things in common. They are strong, definite, technically perfect and completely relaxed. All at the same time. If that's what you mean by soft then fine.

However you were referring to high breakfalls. I take this to mean such as done in koshi nage or judo for example. Such as done from up/down/splatt.

Not shown in that video.

I think many forget what a break-fall is and from that comes all the various strange opinions.

Regards.G.
Those break falls can be done from a koshi-nage. I know at least 2 people who can do them from koshi-nage 100% of the time. Personally, I'm not that good, and I only get them right some of the time. Still, if you do a good break fall, regardless of whether you have a noisy slap, you shouldn't feel much impact in your body, and it shouldn't lead to physical degeneration later in life.

My understanding of why judo players in particular end up in poor condition later in their lives is that it is because in matches, they are actively trying NOT to break fall. I.e. If they break fall well, then the opponent wins (ippon) By not falling well, they damage their bodies, but they may win the match.