View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 11:15 PM   #1
Josh Mason
Dojo: Ronin Bushido Aikido Club, Winchester Ky
Freaky! Pressure points in Aikido

My sensei was telling our beginners class about different meridians in the body that have to do with vital organs, and different pressure points that trigger those things. I was very skeptical at first, until I was called out to be Uke. Sensei demonstrated something that messed with my heart meridian. He was tapping my chin very lightly, and doing something with his hands. I could FEEL the energy being sapped out of me. All i can really remember is a rapid strike to the chin, and I was out of it. Out cold. After i came to (I don't remember anything really) He repeated the process, and i could feel that he was restoring my energy. My face was numb for the rest of the afternoon. This kind of thing seems very strange... Do most other Aikido Dojos teach pressure point tactics?

When sensei demonstrates Kotegaeshi, he'll sometimes push on a place on my arm, and my knees immediately just give out. (I'm 6'2 260lbs) I think that the Aikido we learn is a bit different from other Aikido, and being a beginner I really can't tell the differences yet.

Those who are skilled at combat do not become angered or afraid. Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win.