View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: The Realm of Aiki

Me again, with another of my many "memories"... Marianne was working very diligently at the main library in our city (though she has been back on Long Island for many years and expects to test for Nidan there in December )

The last paragraph reminded me of our two hour classes at the local YMCA: we had plenty of time for general warm ups, then basic aikido movements (get our own balance before working with a partner) then some techniques with a partner, and then often free style based on the techniques taught that day....

Marianne said that if she had a headache after work, after twenty minutes she felt great and enjoyed the classes. That was in the late seventies, so even though she wasn't training for a while on Long Island, it really is a testimony to how people enjoy Aikido in the beginning, then even if they stop for a while, eventually they might find a dojo near home and stick with it! It becomes an important part of their lives. They have claimed it as part of their personal realm, and they are part of the Realm of Aikido...