View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
MM
United_States
Re: Dan Harden in London - Oct 22-23, 2011

Just wanted people to know that there are reviews of the London training over at Rum Soaked Fist.

This is the post by LazyBoxer.
http://rumsoakedfist.org/viewtopic.p...art=15#p247019

Well, I'd say it went pretty damn well!

Not only is Dan an extremely likeable, open and friendly guy, he's a wonderful teacher - not just a mere passer-on of information, of which there are, sadly, all too many in this world. He knows how to open you up to yourself so you can internalize the material and play with it, not just turn into another clever copycat.

As for the material - it's all about understanding and training the six harmonies, developing the spiral body, joining the energy connections through a connected structure, and applying it all through the martial function. For example, I'm now learning how properly to

A) develop dantian in the 6 directions through applying daoyin leading-through-extending/stretching principles, not just that old chestnut of "sinking qi" (that only works in sitting meditation, and results in a very different type of development, not internal power)

B) open the body from the front while releasing from the reverse spinal bow - WITHOUT letting the chest blow out (by allowing the ribcage to open laterally), and applying it to create splitting force. (The mystery of Zhang Zhaodong's weird santishi revealed!)

Image)

C) open not only to release, but also to store; and close not just to store, but also release (this is of tremendous importance - why have I never heard it before?)

These are all aspects of advanced mental training in areas where I've been blocked, but Dan makes it so accessible (my God, he actually SHOWS it to you in his own body - I got to cop several intimate feels on his gigantic frame, as can any anyone else who's interested in that sort of thing - so there's no mystery about what should be happening to the bones, muscles etc. to develop IP.)

In playing, he can be as soft and gentle as you want, or if you prefer to play rough can hit like 100 sledgehammers while hardly moving (though always with a smile). One of our lot (mostly Aikidoka, plus a handful of RSF crew) was sent over 30 feet at extreme velocity and could only stop by collapsing and rolling, all from a mere 3-4 inches push.

I could go on, but I don't want to sound like a cheerleader. Thanks for your insights, enthuasiasm and kindness, Dan. Please come back again soon.