View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 09:31 AM   #1476
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States
Re: Aikido does not work at all in a fight.

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post

And to be sure, the worst aikidoka of all was (aside me), of course, Ueshiba. He knew aikido, and yet he did nothing to teach it martially. When we see his pupils training, we often see them training exactly in that utterly fictional manner that yields an utterly unusable aikido that then generates this type of thread, that exists only in aikido forums for no other martial art raises so insistently this type of issue.

Bottom rock: we agree, actually. Not that the other way round would have worried us, of course.
Alberto:

I respectfully disagree with your statement regarding how the training was done directly under O'Sensei. My sources come directly from direct students of O'Sensei- one who I study directly with. The training that went on at the Hombu dojo was not fluffy or unrealistic. In many respects, it was a dog-eat-dog environment with all of the students trying to out-tough each other. What you see on the video clips does not give an accurate representation of how they trained at the hombu dojo. Aikido, as it was taught by O'Sensei was martially viable and was/is demonstrable in the shihans who trained directly under him. I have seen enough examples of people who have tried out what they though would work with my teacher to know full well that what was taught to my teacher was and is martially viable.

Regards,

Marc Abrams