View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: Prepayment Fraud - Dojo Chos Beware

I think it was spring over a year ago, when my husband was thinking of offering private lessons in karate (he had taught before at a local dojo with permission from his original teacher at college)
Anyway someone from another country sent an email about some young relative whom he wanted to be sure received instruction and general guidance and thus it would involve some currency arrangements. My husband had become busy with work and making such a schedule would have been impossible time-wise so he withdrew the notice soon afterward anyway.... but the point remains that the inquiry sounded rather strange to us. Taking charge of a young person's upbringing in the absence of relatives living locally sounded unadvisable to say the least.

I can't give you the details, because the email was deleted many months ago, I'm just posting to let you know that we did indeed receive a strange sounding request for instruction with complicated payment offers which I don't really remember.

But yes, thanks so much for posting here and I am posting a validation of your warning: Yes such schemes seem to be going around....