Old 10-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
High(er) Intensity Weapons

From Aikido vs. Kendo (Not in fight):

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote:
just recovered (somewhat) from the weapon and randori taught by Ledyard Sensei in Clemson, SC. at one point we put on protective helmet and big gloves, armed with shinai and went at each other full speed and power. i have new appreciation for those kendo guys. new enlightenment came about at full speed and power. very narrow error margin. complicate movements, ain't going to happen. no time for that, especially the other bugger tried his/her best to kill you.

now for those who are planning to attend such future seminars, don't get the lacrosse gloves. they don't have the padded protection for the top edge of your index fingers and thumbs where the tsuba supposed to be (bujin shinai has no tsuba). your truly didn't realized that fact until much afterward when i took the gloves off and got a couple nice bruises. didn't feel it at the time because i was on adrenaline high. recommend to use the hockey gloves which have that extra protection for the index fingers and thumbs. also, forearm and elbow pads would be nice too. got a couple of nice bruises there as well. maybe i should post this under the "why no tsuba" thread. sometimes, you need to go full throttle to experience interesting stuffs.
This post really had nothing to do with the thread in which it was posted, but I thought it might be interesting and worthwhile to discuss this in its own thread.

I, for one, enjoy training weapons with more intensity than the typical aikido weapons practice.

This type of training presents a number of challenges. I have used bokken, shinai, ActionFlex, and a variety of homemade weapons (most all thanks to Chris). They all have their strengths and weaknesses. In addition, setting parameters for the practice create positives and negatives.

But I have found that after you get past the nerves, you can find a great deal of time and possibility in your responses, not to mention that so many of the aikido techniques and strategy fit so well.

Does anyone else engage in this type of practice? Would anyone like to share what they find to be good and bad about this type of training?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki