View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #75
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Why no tsuba?

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Although it did occur to me you might not have meant "lazy" by "unbudolike." Nonetheless, I would say accidents are one of the foremost teachers, so strictly speaking it seems like a good idea to "[Do things based on accidents happenning]." I agree it's a bad idea to allow yourself too much slack though.
I can see how "no tsuba" could be a good specific training method too, though. As you said, showing why the blades shouldn't slide unless you specifically want them to slide is pretty useful. If the practice isn't too forceful/vigorous it wouldn't hurt so much, but it would create a visceral connection when contact with the hand is made, which is I think, invaluable, if not entirely crucial, to the budo learning process.
I like your logic that accidents are a good teacher but the conclusion?
Not for me.Quite the opposite.

When you have an accident it is telling you something was out. No zanshin or no correct movement or no connection or.......

Now as you already know what they are then the accident tells you you were lazy. To think it's good to have more accidents?

Many places have many accidents and call it real tough training. Lazy. Ill disciplined.

The other point I made earlier is that good control of the 'blade' is primary. To move it fast and stop it at will is primary. Not secondary, not well sometimes, not yeah but when, always.

The first lesson to learn and admit is that when you make a mistake, when you hurt someone 'by accident' you were lazy in one way or another.

I choose this terminology to do with the bokken or any dangerous weapon because from my point of view that is the attitude necessary for you to have with both self and partner with such things if you really want to learn self discipline and self control. Depend on nothing except your ability. Blame nothing except youself.

If you use tsuba fine but everytime yours gets hit then it isn't lucky it's bad movement. If you acknowledge this to yourself then it's all good and you can carry on using tsuba. If you don't look at it that way then you are either unaware that you should or not disciplined enough. Lazy.

Such is my view and such is my view on people who have used tsuba for a while but never questioned it or looked at it in the way I describe above.

The tone of this post Matthew is merely a reflection of the discipline I insist on and not directed at your response or you.

By the way, in your nice safe neighbourhood do you therefore leave your doors open, keys in the car, notes on your front door of your whereabouts? Do you DEPEND on that safe neighbourhood?
No of course you don't and that's my point. If you did what would you call yourself?

Anyway, enough on this topic from me. I'll put my sword away now.

Regards.G.