View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: The point of aikido osae

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote:
Yeah. And for that you'd need at least one of your hands. Which is why I find basic aikido osae impractical.
Of the seated pins, nikyo, sankyo, and kote gaeshi use one hand to grip the hand/wrist of uke or the gi to trap the arm. The other hand is a te gatana (hand sword). . . Why do you think this is? What could it possibly represent?

In ikkyo, it is easy to release the wrist while maintaining control of the elbow. In fact, I have seen video of Morihei doing this very thing with rather conspicuous hand motions to the back of uke's neck. Unfortunately, I was unable to find it on YouTube, but it is on one of the O Sensei videos that Stan Pranin offers.

Quote:
Hanna Björk wrote:
One of my aikido teachers taught nikkyo osae and sankyo osae as stretching - never pressing down on uke's shoulder but just twisting uke's are over his/her head, with the feeling of lifting rather than pressing. Very pleasant for uke, and he stressed that.
While, people may have their reasons, I feel it is a big mistake to train the seated pins with a lifting motion. The shoulder should be planted firmly into the ground leaving uke no space to turn towards your body.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki