View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
Re: The point of aikido osae

Hanna Björk wrote:
Yeah. And for that you'd need at least one of your hands. Which is why I find basic aikido osae impractical.
Of the seated pins, nikyo, sankyo, and kote gaeshi use one hand to grip the hand/wrist of uke or the gi to trap the arm. The other hand is a te gatana (hand sword). . . Why do you think this is? What could it possibly represent?

In ikkyo, it is easy to release the wrist while maintaining control of the elbow. In fact, I have seen video of Morihei doing this very thing with rather conspicuous hand motions to the back of uke's neck. Unfortunately, I was unable to find it on YouTube, but it is on one of the O Sensei videos that Stan Pranin offers.

Hanna Björk wrote:
One of my aikido teachers taught nikkyo osae and sankyo osae as stretching - never pressing down on uke's shoulder but just twisting uke's are over his/her head, with the feeling of lifting rather than pressing. Very pleasant for uke, and he stressed that.
While, people may have their reasons, I feel it is a big mistake to train the seated pins with a lifting motion. The shoulder should be planted firmly into the ground leaving uke no space to turn towards your body.

"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki