View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Aikido: Discussions of power

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I see many people discussing power and wonder what they believe power is and also which power they are talking about. Then I also wonder how all this fits Aikido.

Power to me is a position or condition. Through study and practice you gain an ability and then you can use that ability to create a desired effect. You are now in a position of power with regards to that particular action. It's quite normal so what's the significance?

A guy in charge of something is in a position of power.

Whatever ability a person learns and thus can do puts them in a condition of power. So once again what is the significance?

More important to me is not power but the fact that with power comes the need for great responsibility. Thus responsibility is far more important and indeed necessary.

Power is enticing yet it is hollow.

So now back to Aikido. What has it to do with Aikido?

Using it to show you are more powerful? Using it to win? Using it to show superiority? Using it to prove 'martial effectiveness' ?

This is what a person needs to look at to clear in themselves what they are doing it for.

Personally I would say it is using it to both empower self and others. In fact I would say that the aim of my Aikido is a martial effectiveness that empowers others martial effectiveness.

Thus it is more than just empowering but empowering with responsibility. How to use power to bring about harmony and well being.

Regards.G.
Graham.

It appears that you are out of alignment with Dan on what type of Power this thread was started to discuss. Below is from Dictionary.com:

"pow·er   [pou-er] Show IPA
noun
1. ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.

2. political or national strength: the balance of power in Europe.

3. great or marked ability to do or act; strength; might; force.

4. the possession of control or command over others; authority; ascendancy: power over men's minds.

5. political ascendancy or control in the government of a country, state, etc.: They attained power by overthrowing the legal government."

Dan is referring to power as defined by #3 and you are in #1 and to some extent #4.

So, with this in mind, what are your thoughts on power as defined by #3 and how you feel it relates to Ueshiba's Aikido ?

Greg