View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #64
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

Dan, I can think of few surer ways of making a fool of myself than by trying to explain the differences between Aikido and Daito-Ryu to you.

I should stop there, but since my momma apparently did raise at least one fool...

Just based on the video record and trying to eliminate my preconceptions, I'd say that O-Sensei clearly had little interest in techniques that locked uke up, pinned him, or put him in a complicated submission. Where he does use joint locks he immediately turns it into a projection. Where he uses pins, they're simple. He seems to care most about dealing with the initial attack in a way that doesn't interfere with uke's momentum, either of one limb or of the whole body, and then getting uke out of his space so he stays free to operate. Even when he's bouncing uke off himself he gets uke away rather than going for a submission.

Flip side, I believe all those elements are part of Daito-Ryu.

So, I infer that O-Sensei didn't want them. And from that, I infer that he thought they weren't useful to what he was trying to teach.

Partly, I'm sure that has to do with adapting sword forms and to the martial situation of multiple attackers. But I don't think that's the whole story.