View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #21
gates
Re: Why so many Haters of Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido?

It seems that an apparent lack of martial effectiveness is a major bone of contention for some of the non Ki Aikidoka, but not for the Ki Aikidoka themselves.

Certain styles seem to lend themselves more readily to practical situations, but with a danger that the practitioners may become obsessed with the form of techniques and lose sight of the bigger picture. On the contrary other styles focus heavily on principles but can have a tendency over time lose accuracy and precision in performing techniques.

The great thing is that there are different paths we can choose from. If traveled thoughtfully and attentively these will get you where you want to go. For me the contrast in styles provides important lessons to highlight potential areas that may be lacking in my own practice, although they may not necessarily be the path I choose to travel on.

I respect Noro Sensei for having the good sense to change the name once the deviation reached a certain point (and with it any preconceived ideas from outsiders that it should or shouldn't be this or that way).

There are many paths to the summit of Mount Fuji but there is only one summit. Arguing over which path is better is distracting from enjoying the view.

Enjoy the journey