View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 AM   #85
lbb
United_States
Re: philosophical or practical martial art?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I'll excuse the first paragraph as it sounds like the reverse to me.
That's big of you.

Quote:
The critical mind saves one from taking responsibility for their own actions. A bad student blames the book or the noise or something other than themselves. Simple.
I'd say simplistic rather than simple. The logic is flawed in several ways. You're claiming that any time students point to anything outside themselves as a factor in why their training isn't what they want, they are by definition a bad student. This is the "all wood burns, therefore all that burns is wood" fallacy. A bad student may blame external causes rather than accepting personal responsibility -- that's one way that being a bad student may play out. But you can't simply reverse the statement -- it's not logically valid.

Quote:
When you are as good as your teacher then you may, just may have the right to criticise.
Well, that's a nice safety blanket that will shelter many a bad teacher. If the student wants to criticize, and you don't want to hear their criticism, you invalidate it by saying that they're not "good enough".

Quote:
No escape from that truth I'm afraid.
Truth? You keep making statements as if saying something makes it true. If you say, "Two plus two equals five, no escape from that truth I'm afraid, is is is is is!", will that also become truth?

Quote:
But if you believe that then so be it. Don't sound very martial to me.
More argument by definition and argument from authority. Who died and made you the boss of what "martial" is? A bully club like this only works if your would-be target believes in its power, and I don't.