Thread: O-sensei rules
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #20
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: O-sensei rules

Quote:
David Orange wrote: View Post
I wonder why I always get such blowback when I say that aikido is based on a killing strike?

Anyway, thanks for the excellent thread.

I think there are some great things here, especially considering that they come from 1938. That was the year Shioda began training with Ueshiba, I believe.

As for Yamato Damashi, I was told that it meant Japanese Heart. And from the kind of training that was going on at the moment, it meant something I would hesitate to try to translate. But it seemed to have a sort of tribal initiation element to it, creating a modification of kokoro to a yamato (Japanese) heart. And this seemed to imply a kind of wildness and realness that I had never encountered among them, like a hidden spirit within a very pure appearance. A seemed to be both extreme ijimeru and extreme fighting spirit. Imagine the treatment of recruits in the wartime Japanese army.

This training of which I speak was not conducted by Mochizuki Sensei but by one of his students who was conducting special training for junior college students.

I could understand calling it "sincere" but it was not really much on the sweetness and light.

Still, O Sensei's call for a joyous atmosphere is refreshing and his sequence for light to intense movement is great.

I like this:

"4) The teachings of your instructor constitute only a small fraction of what you will learn. Your mastery of each movement will depend almost completely on your earnest practice.

I'd say #4 really implies constant practice, both with and without partners or adversaries.

Think of all the martial arts movies where the young man who practices his moves day and night, walking, working, alone and in class, becomes the best. He also gets in the most trouble. Sometimes he overcomes it and sometimes he gets killed. But the answer is always more practice!

They sure come back easy from brutal beatings in those flicks.

But solo practice is where you can ponder and absorb lessons from classes. And it's where you can think about other arts and approaches you've heard of. You can cross-train and recognize related principles.

And I no longer doubt that the IP workers are onto some core principles that were lost from mainstream aikido but have been re-discovered.

Of course, I was never mainstream aikido, but I found some great things from meeting Minoru Akuzawa, Rob John and Dan Harden, and reading Mike Sigman.

") The daily practice begins with light movements of the body, gradually increasing in intensity and strength, but there must be no overexertion. That is why even elderly an elderly man can continue to practice without bodily harm but with pleasure and profit and will attain the purpose of his training."

Thanks for posting.

David
Hi David,

With regards to Yamato Damashi, "soul or spirit" is probably a closer and more common translation. That having been said, I would quickly refer you to Prof. Goldsbury's much more thorough handling of the term in his column here on AikiWeb.

I believe Shioda sensei joined the Kobukan in 1932. (I'm familiar with the date because Shirata joined in 1931.) As an aside, I believe Budo Renshu was published in 1935, and along with Budo (1938), are the only published books "by" Ueshiba Morihei. Isn't it telling that the only two published works by O-sensei are routinely discounted as anachronisms when, and if, they are ever considered at all?

As far as "blow back" is concerned, I would venture to guess that it is largely because the idea is antithetical to how most folks fundimentally conceive of Aikido. However, consider this, what if he was pointing to a fundamental attribute rather than a fundamental value (the rest of the rules would seem to indicate this) - namely power so great that one blow could kill. (Recall a certain "tap" by Ueshiba to certain Judoka's hip that shattered it. I don't think he was being metaphorical!) If this attribute were present, then the admonition against needless testing of strength could be taken a couple of different ways, one might be "that is dangerous," but the other could be "power like THAT isn't developed via needless testing of strength." In fact it has little if anything to do with "strength" as normally conceived of. THAT, to my mind, sounds like O-sensei's (for the most part un-reproduced) Aikido with its persistent strange stories of incredible (abnormal) power only regularly paralleled in recent Japanese history by . . . Daito Ryu! Why would this be so hard to believe? Because, I surmise, most people are aware of no evidence that such power exists . . . most particularly not within an any Aikido context that they are familiar with. It is perfectly rational for most individuals NOT to believe . . . unless of course they have felt what you have undoubtedly felt for yourself.

I agree completely that the both the atmosphere and type of regimen called for by O-sensei are descriptive of the best and most (IMHO only) effect means of transmission.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe