View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #57
MM
United_States
Re: The Descent of Aiki

Quote:
Niall Matthews wrote: View Post
Mark so that's your theory?! Because people don't do bayonet practice Morihei Ueshiba was not a good teacher? Well a lot of his direct students became great teachers. They learned OK. Don't assume that difficult is bad. Don't assume that a lack of explanations is bad. That's a western paradigm. None of those students you quote left. None of them said he was a bad teacher. And who taught Kisshomaru Ueshiba and Tohei.

Thanks Tim. You still seem to be judging from a western stance. But all we've established is that he was difficult to understand and didn't give many explanations. Like a lot of excellent Japanese teachers of martial arts and other disciplines.

I trained for many years with direct students of O Sensei. I've heard many stories about his teaching. Many were interesting and funny. I never heard that he was not a good teacher. Don't expect to go unchallenged when you make unsupported blanket generalizations based on your particular cultural perspective or to fit your particular pet theory.
Niall,
First, thanks for having a decent conversation about this stuff. While we don't agree, at least it's been a very civil back and forth.

With that said and no animosity on my part, I'll dive in.

No, not just bayonet. I've actually listed quite a few things in this thread alone that have yet to be addressed. I've actually shown examples. On your side, so far, we have your word. Since we don't know each other and other people don't know us, why trust what either of us say personally? (I'm sure we're both good and honorable but for the sake of argument/conversation, let's assume the worst)

Do you have examples of anything that you can share? I'm actually trying to help you here. To an unknown reader, I have a myriad of examples from Ueshiba's students to his observed personal training that can be verified. You have yet to cite examples.

Stan Pranin's research pretty much verifies that Kisshomaru and Tohei are behind post-war modern aikido. Your examples to contradict that?

You yourself stated that because of millions of people training aikido, it meant that Ueshiba was a good teacher. And then you said, don't expect to go unchallenged when you make unsupported blanket generalizations. Personally, I think you've made an unsupported blanket generalization. I've established interviews, articles, and such to contradict your statement.

I'm asking for you to prove me wrong with examples, articles, interviews, etc because that will *help* me with a possible writing project I'm working on. So, please, don't take what I'm posting personally. It isn't intended that way. I'm just hoping that you can come up with stuff to refute me.