View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
MM
United_States
Re: Hidden in Plain Sight - Indeed!

There is an interview with Henry Kono in an Aikido Today magazine. It's interesting in how that interview corresponds to what Ellis quoted. The interesting part is that yin/yang appears to be the translated part and Ueshiba actually used in/yo. In/yo are Daito ryu terms.

Mark

Quote:
1. Aikido Today Magazine; #31 Dec.93/ Jan. 94
Interview of Henry Kono sensei by Virginia Mayhew and Susan Perry.
ATM: When you had conversations like these with O'sensei, what would you talk about?
HK: Well, I would usually ask him why the rest of us couldn't do what he could. there were many other teachers, all doing aikido. But he was doing it differently - doing something differently. His movement was so clean!
ATM: How would O'sensei answer your questions about what he was doing?
HK: He would say that I didn't understand yin and yang [in and yo]. So, now I've made it my life work to study yin and yang. That's what O'sensei told me to do.
If we look further, we find the below.

Quote:
From Invincible Warrior by John Stevens:
Regarding Takeda, "His extraordinary ability was due to mind control, technical perfection honed in countless battles, and mastery of aiki, the blending of positive and negative energy."
I wonder what the original Japanese stated.

Quote:
Aiki News Issue 091. Rinjiro Shirata writes:
The purified workings of Mother Nature, which keep the whole great universe in order, are but manifestations of the Great Love. By means of the breath (iki) of the Heavens and the breath of the Earth, through the in and yo (yin and yang) the multitude of things has come to be born. The breath of the Heavens and the Earth is the abdomen of everyone, and when a person partakes of this breath the techniques of aiki are born, with and by means of the Positive and Negative Principles. That is to say, the kotodama is born and aiki techniques are born.
Positive/Negative; in/yo; yin/yang.

Quote:
A Life in Aikido: The Biography of Founder Morihei Ueshiba
Ueshiba is also quoted with the following:
As one follows the promptings of Aiki Myo-o, assisted by the virtue of the Creator, one's breathing begins to rise in a spiral on the right, and to descend in a spiral on the left.