View Single Post
Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 AM   #6
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
1,000 points of confusion

Even though this is an important topic, I put it in the humour section because it is also hilarious.

I don't think human behavior will change immediately upon suggestion.

Since this is a Japanese martial art, it is natural for people to want to use the Japanese words that they were taught. It is not unusual for them to use Japanese phrases to describe Japanese concepts either.

1,000 points of confusion

Not everyone who posts here, knows how to write the correct/close to correct, romanized version of a Japanese word.

This web site draws many people from various styles and dojos. I have never heard on the mat, anyone refered to as tori even though I assume from reading here, that some dojos do use this term.

I find titles especially confusing. What is a Shihandai? Where do people come up with these things?

Various styles are changing the names of different techniques. In my own style, they changed the name of kote-gaeshi to kote-oroshi. If I used the term kote-oroshi, how many people will understand?

If I describe a technique as kokyu nage, I could be talking about a multitude of techniques. This is nothing but a catch all name. Because it is in Japanese, it doesn't make it any more meaningful.

When people are typing with inspiration, their Japanese seems to become even more erratic than their English. Of course their English is lousy also.

Like Chris pointed out, there are many disputes over the definitions of various Japanese words. Maybe using a consistent language throughout your posting might help with the flow of thought. You can put the Japanese word or phrase in (parentheses) or "quotes" on the side. Another way "do"(1) is to use footnotes to explain yourself.

(1) way or path

The idea is to express yourself, not to confuse others.

Last edited by tedehara : 09-12-2002 at 11:08 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You