Thread: What do we do?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #22
DH
United_States
Re: What do we do?

Quote:
Krystal Locke wrote: View Post
So you are saying that Ueshiba had the legitimacy of a recognised style and instructor behind him, and that background helped him be recognised as a competent and reliable martial arts instructor himself?

I may have been wrong in implying that O-sensei made up aikido, but my point still stands. Someone who claims, in public, to teach aikido may want to have a verifiable tie to the art if they want to be recognised as an aikido instructor.

In order to teach aikido, one should have learned aikido at some point, somewhere. In order to learn aikido, one should most likely be taught aikido. In order to learn aikido well, it is better to have a skilled aikido instructor. It is far more likely one could find a skilled instructor in an established and recognised aikido lineage.

As badly as I may have started this quest off, I am actually just trying to make sure that the quality of aikido instruction in my area stays as high as it is. As thuggish as I seem to be comin off, I do not like seeing people scammed. I clearly do not know what I can do to prevent the injustice, thus the clumsy effort on my part.
Hi Krystal
You're not being thuggish.
The answer you are looking for is a combination of all of the above. Of course they would need to learn aikido or any art, to teach the art, but there are so many practitioners (of every art) who really aren't that good, that you need a vetting process outside of rank to find the good ones. I mean, we are all learning right? Some of us, no matter how long we have been in the arts did not learn our lessons very well!
Does that make more sense.
Cheers
Dan