Thread: Budo and Aikido
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #35
Lee Salzman
Re: Budo and Aikido

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Right now we need to "stand up" and help us. The world pretty much hates us anyway, might as well take care of those who cannot help themselves...us...and be hated anyway. Otherwise there won't be anything left of us to help anywhere.
Dan
That actually surprised me when I moved over to Finland. I thought, "Oh crap, I'm an American here, I'm gonna be a target..." And the attitude towards things, especially our wars, has been somewhat surprising. Largely, they just live in their own little bubble, just as much as we Americans do, just more concerned about their own country than anything else, and not much discussion of American issues really seems to penetrate here. They seem to have a firm enough understanding that we are not as stupid as our leaders. The couple I have managed to talk to in depth have been rather supportive, at least in the case of the Afghanistan war, of why we ostensibly went there in the first place, though they seemed foggy about the details of what the Afghanistan and Iraq wars represented. Then again, I'd probably not be having that sort of discussion with someone who was screaming "Die you American pig!" at me in the first place.