View Single Post
Old 09-11-2002, 08:12 PM   #54
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia
Germany
Javier,

I assume you study aikido...

Do you not see the paradox in practicing aikido as a means to peace?

When doing ikkyo it is required that you present a posture that is threatening enough for your partner to believe that you could hurt him. When he attacks, you are also in a position to attack, it is not necessary to attack, but in order for ikkyo to work, your uke must believe that you could if you wanted to. You take center blend and then pin.

People join the military for the most part, (at least in my country) not to fight wars, to kill or be killed, but to protect their freedoms and peace. By presenting a strong military force, you can do much to prevent war from happening.

To quote O'Sensei from a John Stevens translation.

"The real art of Peace is not to sacrifice a single one of your warriors to defeat an enemy. Vanquish your foes by always keeping yourself in a safe and unassailable position; then no one will suffer any losses. The way of a Warrior, the art of Politics, is to stop trouble before it starts. It consist in defeating your adversaries spiritually by making them realize the folly of their actions. The Way of the Warrior is to establish harmony."

The Peace Corps is designed to help people help themselves. By helping them build their own country and infrastructure, you can help them avoid war, spread good will, and also spread harmony.

The paradox is that both the military and the peace corp have the same goal on a global scale, to keep peace for the United States.

The peace corps is a better way to true, long lasting peace. The military can only assure peace as long as it presents a presence and a threat. It is therefore short term in perspective.

I think there are some good examples where NATO, and the UN are doing much work using military forces as peacekeeping forces to keep countries like Bosnia from committing Genocide and having internal conflict while they educate and rebuild.