View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #18
SeiserL

Dojo: Roswell Budokan, Kyushinkan Dojo, Aikido World Alliance
United_States
Re: Shugyo: Mindfully Train

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote: View Post
As usual, Dr Seiser has written a good, provocative, column.
Thank you Sensei for your kind words and further insightful explanation.

I too have run several marathons (10). There is a real difference between those middle of the pack runners like me and the elite runners up front. As you mention, I tend to run mindlessly with some sort of tunes in my ears and trying to keep a basic pace and form. It a dissociated state of mind, I tent to spectate myself. The elite runner I know and observe talk about stay in their bodies in an associated state as a participant. Their mind is where there body is.

This is a common distinction in sports and performance psychology.

You are most correct that when we use Japanese terms, we need to be more familiar with the actual meanings in context and culture. The same word can have many meanings. I deeply appreciate how you clarification expand what we know and think.

I often think of these columns as an opportunity to open a conversation from where we are (our current understanding) and watching it grow through communication. IMHO, any idea is not a statement but a catalyst.

I try to write mindfully with that intent.

Thank you for joining the conversation.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!