View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #81
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: What Is Your Frame Of Reference For Understanding Aikido?

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
My point is that judgment per se isn't helpful and can be limiting, if you're too quick to give credence to someone who's very good at sounding authoritative and knowledgeable and loudly asserting that he is right. It's a paradox with pitfalls on either side: being less knowledgeable, how do you judge whether the "authority" passing judgment is qualified? There are some common-sense guidelines and some blatant bs flags, but a skilled manipulator can negotiate that minefield with ease. "Trust but verify" is probably the only sane way, and don't ever drink any koolade, no matter how many people tell you that it's tasty and good for you.
Today my Aikido was judged by another aikidoka during ato-gaiko after class. I was trying to put kaiten-nage on him and he judged my technique... insufficient. It's not about "sounding" authoritative, it's not about "being less knowledgeable", it's not about "authority"... my technique didn't work. I've got something to learn there. I don't think anybody's suggesting anything else. IHTBF, and when it's felt, there's not really an argument any more, is there?