View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #55
RonRagusa
United_States
Re: What Is Your Frame Of Reference For Understanding Aikido?

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
What do you think, Ron?
My view is that Aikido speaks to each student on a very personal level, whether by design or happenstance. Every student must seek his/her own path. When I observe other's Aikido I do so without judgement and simply accept it as an expression of their practice.

Quote:
Do you think you are capable of "recreating his vision in all its detail?"
Heavens no. His vision was a product of many factors unique to his life that I'll never be able to replicate in any detail should that be my goal. And, for the record it's not.

Quote:
For those making claims of physical understanding, they should in- whatever part- be able to demonstrate at least some of his physical power, and that power should be greater in those training the longest.
Agree.

Quote:
Most would agree the middle ground is where they are at. There is a peculiar aspect to the aiki arts that draw people, and I have heard enough people talk about the benefits of their practice that I am sold that it is indeed a positive experience for many.
Agree.

Quote:
Just as well, there are those interested in the more martial aspects of IP/aiki, and what is wrong with that?
Nothing wrong with that. The Aikido umbrella is wide, plenty of room underneath for a whole bunch of folks to get in out of the rain.

Best,

Ron