View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #101
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo
United_States
Re: "Non-Aikido Martial Traditions" Forum

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Budd, are you familiar with the concept of signal and noise? The "ignore it and move on" approach works in some circumstances, not in others. A forum ceases to be useful for its intended purpose when the signal -- the posts and comments that are on the topic of the forum -- are drowned out by an incessant high volume of posts and comments on another topic, any other topic. If I go to a physics forum and start posting about grilled cheese sandwiches (because after all, don't the laws of physics apply to grilled cheese sandwiches?), and for every post on a real physics topic I post one or two grilled cheese posts, it's a bit disingenuous to say that the solution is for the people who want to discuss physics to "just ignore it".
Hi Mary,

I guess I have to agree with Dan on this item, too, in that I find the IS subject to be foundational to the discussion around ki, aiki, and aikido. And the debate seems to be ongoing from people now within aikido regarding its merit (I don't count myself among them, at present)

Regarding signal to noise. I think your analogy of physics and grilled cheese is a bit inaccurate. If I were on a physics forum and I spent a lot of time being interested in the subject of force * mass . . which I'd regard as foundational to the idea of physics - but then others said to me that their type of physics does that already, or another faction said I didn't need to worry about force * mass . . I might get a bit tetchy then, too. Does that make sense?

In terms of people contributing useful information rather than debating personalities, I think that's a valid argument from the signal to noise perspective, but that's all I'll say about it. I don't participate and try to keep my own contributions/interests to the IS how-to's. If someone doesn't care, I don't mind, I don't need to evangelize. If someone does seem to care, but doesn't have experience or an educated viewpoint, I try to give them ideas to get some.

Either way, I'm good with live and let live, I just think there's enough of a legitimate debate within aikido about this, that on one hand it's interesting to watch - on the other, it's still fun to participate in the discussion.