View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #263
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Strength vs Ki.

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
Would you mind explaining in simpler terms so we might not miss the point, as I share Tom's misunderstanding on that one...
Hi Rich.
I can but try.

I have said as much in previous posts and it is one of those views that by observation are not widely held in truth and action but believed to be the case.

When thoroughly viewed you see and conceptualize what something thus would look like if it truly was the case.

If a Teacher truly holds to that principle then he would be free of the need to control etc, all the principles as no different to the ones I mention like non-control etc. So the understanding of what I mean doesn't come from how he treats students and whether they are happily progressing, the test comes in WHEN the students are up to such a great or envisioned standard.

Ha, ha, thats why I find it quite amusing to see all the theories about what O'Sensei envisioned for the future of Aikido for mostly I see views based on control, imposing will, must be's etc all in the name of 'keeping it real' or looking after the integrity of the art etc.

Back to the point at hand. I'll use myself as an example here if you don't mind.

I insist, and if I was an organization it would be therefore translated as some kind of policy or part of the structure of teaching and grading, that at a certain point it is the responsibility of the student to start their own 'school' under their own name associated to me only by reference.

Like a tree who's responsibility is looking after and feeding and nurturing it's own 'fruit' until it is ready to leave and become it's own tree.

In my Aikido I thus have told my students if they want to reach such levels I can help them as best I can but part of the structure is that they would then be responsible for teaching under their own banner, calling their Aikido a name that befits their 'way' even though being based on the same principles.

How does this work and why?

Because, as I jokingly say to let's say a lady who teaches ballet who comes to me for Aikido. I tell her that it's interesting that if she ever get's to such a standard and wanted to then she would have to start her own 'school' and maybe she could call it 'balletkido.'

That's good jokes but more importantly is this reason: I tell my son the same and he is a very good musician, his world is music. that's his universe.

Therefore if he was to do the same I would expect him to use the same principles but unlike me he would be able to relate them to, translate them and communicate them in terms of music thus he could reach and help musicians who wanted to do Aikido far better than I could.

That doesn't mean his Aikido would have a musical name for through his experience and realizations he might call in Kannagara Aikido or whatever. The point is in any books he wrote or writings he did he would be very good at musical analogies.

Free, uncontrolled by me, yet teaching the same principles his way. Natural progression.

If someone says they want to do it exactly the same as me and thus call it the same the I would say no. I would say go away and notice the difference between you and me and thus find your true way which will serve the same ends.

Hope that clarifies rather than confuses the issue.

Regards.G.