View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #142
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States
Re: Basics, basics, basics

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
So for those training it how relevant do you believe ip/ aiki is in comparison to kata training for a good balance of foundation.

Seems Ueshiba and Tohei agreed with their DR counterparts as well as the Chinese.
Do your mates agree?
I have to admit, I love movement training. Meeting the attack at the right point, leading uke into a movement they can't resist because it's where they thought they wanted to go, feeling that you're on the plain of nakaima with no uke, no tori, just the eternal present, every part in exactly the place it has to be not because you planned it but because the whole movement is perfect and complete and so of course the parts have to be in the right place... it's better than sex. No it's not. But it's right up there.

Now add aiki to that? Take away the timing tricks, take away the momentum and leading tricks, take away all the muscling of the movement that was still there when you thought it wasn't, connect the body so that not only is the heel connected to the hand but every point along the connection is vibrant and alive... that's worth working for.

So my answer: What's the sound of one hand clapping? What coin has only one side?