View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #121
Alberto_Italiano
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Yes, a good boxer will be much faster than what most demos illustrate. A friend of mine isn't a particularly "good" boxer and I had a hard time entering quick enough on his 1-2, and 1-2-3 combos the last time we played around. Even his single jabs were hard for me, though it didn't help that he had a huge reach advantage over me...or that I'm simply not very well-practiced. Now, I was able to not get hit hard and get close enough to do some stuff, but I often got hit. A really good striker would have probably laid me out unless I got very very lucky.
Exactly Matthew. Although I know this wasn't your purpose, yet you seem the one who illustrates best the points at times I am attempting to make - with mixed results.

To be sure, this ought to be understood: I am not insisting on the difficulties that arise from facing a skilled puncher in order to say that boxing is superior to aikido - if that would have been my conclusion, or even worse my puerile implication, I would just stick to boxing and wonder no further.
No one loves wasting time

It is, rather, that I have never seen to date any training, and not even any video, where our techniques are attempted against the type of opponent that you experienced and that here you describe.
I commend you for the keen awareness of its implications - they don't seem so obvious to everybody, Matthew. Yet they are real.

Our ukes seems all one armed. If our training would let us face how a skilled puncher attacks (and this is not immaterial a scenario, because competent fighters and strikers are far mor common as a real occurrence than somebody attacking you in a bar with a sword, or grabbing both your wrists from behind and waiting there who knows for what), how he has feet and jumps, how he has the capability of stepping back fast (our ukes haven't it), how he can pivot on himself ultrafast (our ukes are either slow, or still), how he can step back and pivot at once (our ukes can't walk and think at the same time lol), how he can keep hurling punches as he does that (our ukes throw only one at best, and they are quite sluggish to re-chamber), how he can be fast to re-chamber - then you realize how difficult it is to apply an Aikido technique.

If you manage - endgame. That's the good thing with that!

Bu the road that leads there, may be paved with our knock-outs, borken noses, split lips, wounded eyebrows, swollen and closed eyes, jumping teeth. Ugly, not classy as in demos.

Considering how difficult it is to apply our techiniques in these settings even when we rightly implement safety measures (here we punch with open hands and at chest level only), we would instantly quit training letting 6 guys with tantos attack us as we cheerrfully get rid of them all as nuisances.

the truth is, against a skilled puncher, ONE alone and even without a knife in his hands, we'd have a troublesome, lousy and miserable time before we land our scrambled waza.
Yet it is the only time worth spending, though.

I am having a hard time, and spending a considerable amount of time, trying to work out a training that may meet these requirements - for we haven't it, and I am the least equipped, with my lousy aikido, to invent it.

Yesterday I scrambled for a shiho nage. I ended up with his rigid arm (do they mention that in order to produce a good shiho nage you have FIRST to turn uke's hand palm upward?) above my head as he had already turned towards me in order to hit me fictionally (open hand) and yet precisely with his other arm right on my chin - repeatedly, while subtracting with vehemence his arm from my shiho nage and starting hitting me again with both arms.

That's how ugly it can be if you fail.
And you will fail.