Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: "Art of Peace" Kanji

Quote:
Rudy Ternbach wrote: View Post
Chris

Quite nice; you've moved me to me thinking about the wood I'll use for the prayer pole.

Regards,

RT
Of course, if you have the Japanese carved on a jo and/or bokken, you will have the best of both worlds: a pole or implement you can actually use, as well as pray with.

My profession is to explore cultural contexts and some might find the discussion in Robert Kinsala's book of interest. The book, published in 1999 by Hawaii U P, is Prophets of Peace: Pacificism and Cultural Identity in Japan's New Religions. The discussion of Goi and the Byakko Shinkokai starts on p. 57. Morihei Ueshiba and aikido are not mentioned, even once.

In Hiroshima, we approach world peace with a certain realism. There are many, many peace groups, all competing for membership. Many of these have links with Japan 'new' religions, like Byakko. Although in Japanese, the following website gives a wide overview of what there is to choose from: http://park8.wakwak.com/~kasa/index.html
There are links to various websites.

The 'peace industry' goes into top gear around August 6, when there is a huge ceremony at the Peace Museum. The organization that runs the Peace Memorial Museum is the Peace Culture Foundation: http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/hpc...ish/index.html
(If you scroll through the website, you will find my name listed among the Directors.)

The point I am making here is that here in Hiroshima, world peace is invariably tied to an ideology, such as a religion like Byakko Shinkokai, or a political viewpoint, such as the abolition of nuclear weapons. So, when people come to my door asking me if I support world peace--and I say yes, of course, this is immediately followed by a request to join their religion. And, yes, all the founders are very holy people, like Mr Goi, who have achieved enlightenment.

So, back to 'the art of world peace.' It is a short and pithy phrase in English, but hard to put into Japanese. The Byakko Peace Prayer does not quite do it.

Best wishes,

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 05-15-2011 at 10:03 PM.

P A Goldsbury