View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #113
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Alberto Italiano wrote: View Post
I never liked Ueshiba.
I'm with you, Monica Belluci is prettier than him.

Quote:
My impression has always been that all the good and the bad both that are in aikido, are his responsibility.
To a great extent, yes. No doubt.

Quote:
The good being of having envisioned a Martial Art entirely based upon defense and where brutal force is poscribed.
Are you sure, really really sure, about this?

Quote:
The bad being that in developing such an art, he has never been concerned with the fact it was clearly evolving towards fictional grounds that many Martial Artists (let's exclude me for I am neither martial nor an aritst: i'm a nuisance!) have often vocally noticed and denounced.
However there are various accounts of him heavily scolding Hombu aikido students for not doing "real" aikido... I think he was concerned, but lacked the power (or the skills) needed to enforce his vision.

Quote:
You can control an aggressor in many ways. If we go along this path, Demetrio, we can also arrive at the conclusion that gunfire is aikido
Mochizuki Sensei, one of his direct students (and aikido pioneer in Europe back in the 50's) arrived to the same conclusion.

Quote:
In my humble perception, and I know I can be wrong, those videos where they face each others with tantos, are not designed to say that in akido you can defend yourself from a tanto wielding a tanto yourself - once again, they are designed to provide a training setting where, probably in order to save time, both act at once as ukes and toris.
Of course there is a possibility. Can we ask the designer of this exercises about their purpose?

Quote:
if I would find a dojo where they instruct me about how to stab my opponent, I would leave that dojo immediately: i don't want to learn how to stab people (i'm not planning to produce a criminal record lol), or how to bear hug them (i already know how to do that ).
I want to learn how to produce pure techniques within the most aggressive and violent setting, with my bare hands and no punches: only leverages and projection.
Well, if it is what you want go for it, but IMO, you're leaving aside lots of valuable lessons.

Quote:
Oh, let's be clear about this: I fully understand and even encourage your personal perspective about it: if you find allright defending yourself with a tanto or with bear hugs, I cannot but say you're right. In a real fight, most likely, one will end up forfeting all aikido (that's my point, sigh), and fighting fire with fire.
Sometimes fighting fire with fire is the most sensible and compassionate option. Ask a firefigter.

Quote:
It's just that the Aikido I want is the one where my opponent can do whatever he wants, whereas I have plenty of limitations: only leverges and projections, and no force allowed except that which could move say 15 kilos.
Bear hug or chokes? No no no no no....
Good luck in your search.