View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #86
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Reuben Yap wrote: View Post
What you're saying is that even when uke KNOWS what is going to happen and is allowed to resist, nage should be able to effortlessly do the technique if he's skilled enough.
Yes. - If he's skilled enough. Technically spoken this is (or should be) true.
It is just not allways reasonable in the sense of self-defense.

Quote:
I think that goes against the grain of what Aikido is.
Ok, this is your point of view.
In the aikido wich was taught to me from the very beginning, this is on the contrary a very important aspect of aiki. Not the only one, but a big one.
And is crucial when talking about kihon waza.

Quote:
You work with what your uke gives you, so if he is resisting against one technique, you just do another one which his resistance makes him weak too.
Then what do you do, if uke gives you nothing?
Can you only react? How do you take the initiative?
Do you depend on uke or are you free?

Quote:
That's what Aikido is, using his resistance against him and different Aikido techniques are specific ways to deal with certain kinds of resistance.
This may be true for the "wide/large/big" and "external" movements.
But you can also deal with resistance by a little rotation of the hand, the angle of the elbow, a small movement of your foot and ...
... not changing the external movement i.e. technique, but just using the "internal" structure" of your body, i.e. staying in the same technique but changing things hardly to see.

To me aiki doesn't only mean to "choose" the "right" technique but also choose the "right way" within a certain technique.

Quote:
... but that doesn't mean you can apply a specific technique no matter what the resistance is, ...
You mean, you think you are not able to do so or you don't like to do so?
We practice this way and learn how apply a specific technique no matter what the resistance is. Exactly this is part of our daily practice. It is not all, but part of our training.