View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 AM   #21
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: Effective udekimenage against resistance

Reuben,

For starters, I refer to the technique that you call udekimenage as mae otoshi.

Second, I have a different outlook on the techniques that have become part of aikido and where their natural effectiveness lies.

If you were to perform mae otoshi while you are holding a weapon, uke may well have more incentive (the more powerful the weapon, the greater the incentive) to hold on to you until a throw is achievable. Additionally, if you are armed in this scenario, a "small projection" may very well be all you need to effectively end the fight.

And what if you have multiple opponents and your biggest concern is to free yourself for continued movement?

By the way, I really enjoyed the spirit of your video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMg1OuKWcgI

It reminds me of the early stages of my exploration into the effectiveness of aikido techniques. I think I can give you a big hint that will put you light-years ahead. It all revolves around context. You have to free yourself from the one-on-one, empty-hand context that we have all come to believe is where martial arts should prove themselves. Start experimenting with weapons and multiple opponent situations. See where aikido fits better and where mma struggles. You might be surprised.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki